Friday, October 23, 2020

The machinery deck in the new mill

 I started the work on the new mill deck in July and after some distraction and a much needed trip to Jamaica I'm back working the machinery deck on the new mill 



The first piece built was the log haul used to carry logs from the pond up to the cutting deck. The lower legs on the haul will be covered by "log pond water" and will pretty much disappear from view as will many of the structures lower ends that are sitting in the pond.

The log deck and haul drive were the second piece built. This connects from the log haul and pulls logs by chain drive up onto the log deck.







From there the log deck and the haul drive drop the log to the log carriage which carries the log to the saw which is a double blade circular husk saw

The log carriage and the husk saw looks like this








I've captured it both on the modeling bench and as it will look on the model. Pictured also is the husk saw, and the live and dead rolls which push the material into the old mill. Again I used a ancient bottle of "blacken it" to create a good metal finish for all 
the casted gears, rollers, and the rest. The code 70 track for the log haul provides trackage and helps to smoothly push the log toward the saw. Nothing has been glued down yet as I'm being careful with my elevations and want to make sure everything matches up well on the layout. Scenery bases, with dirt is going to add something to the overall height, but when those final adjustments are made and I'm confident that I'm doing the model justice I'll glue things down.


No comments:

Post a Comment